In our campaigning document, It’s our Party – let us in, we proposal all Party structures use the questionnaire below for all existing members, and for new members as they join. But how should Party structures keep that information? I’d assume it would be kept as part of the Party’s database, but I don’t know what software the Party uses – does anyone else? Is it part of the Nation Builder software the Party uses for its websites?
The only way to identify what reasonable adjustments we need to make is to ask disabled members what they require. To comply with the Act, existing disabled members need to be asked in a one off survey whilst new disabled members need to be asked as they join. Elected officers of Party structures can find contact details of their disabled members from the Party membership database.
If a request is made to make an adjustment to custom or practice that elected officers do not understand, they will need to go back to the individual making the request to discuss their exact requirements and how they can best be provided. Debating whether these adjustments should be made is inappropriate. Consultation is vital, and no elected officer should act on an assumption that they know what is best for anyone.
Party structures should use the following questionnaire which will be made available in print and online in a format suitable for screen reading software, in plain English and Easy English with images suitable for people with dyslexia or learning difficulties, and as an audio described file:
Your response to this questionnaire will enable us to meet our duties under in the Equalities Act 2010. Please complete and return to …
- Do you identify as disabled? Yes/No.
- Do you have an impairment &/or a long term (physical or mental health) concern which impacts on your day-to-day life? Yes/No.
- Do you have a disabled family member or friend who you live with or provide some assistance to? Yes/No.
- Are you satisfied with the way we notify you about meetings, events and other activities?
If no, how should we change this?
- Are you satisfied with the way we provide print and online materials?
If no, how would you prefer us to do this?
- Are you able to understand and participate in meetings, events and other activities?
If no, what should we do to change this?
- Are there any other ways we can enable to you participate?
- If you would like to make any other comments, please add them here:
Any personal information gathered on an individual will be covered by the Data Protection Act 1998 and should be treated as confidential unless otherwise agreed with the individual.